scripsit

Elias presents ... a worm!    Thoughts on family, philosophy,
and technology

Profile

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Strange days

Amy is four days overdue, and she can't stop cleaning and gardening. I'm just getting over something a lot like strep throat, and I can't stop taking power naps. And it's freakishly beautiful weather for Portland in April.

At least Elias is enjoying it all. Every day he waters some plants in the front yard that we've recently planted (having only lived here for three months). He approaches watering with a fierce determination. It was no surprise to me that he demands to lug the watering can around by himself, no matter how heavy it is: this is exactly what Montessori said a little person of about 1-1/2 would want. But I wonder if he gets a little too caught up in having to get "more water!" as soon as each bucket is spent. Today, when I said that having watered three trees, two bushes, and a half-dozen dahlias, we were done, there was a big burst of tears. Partly this was due to it being nap time, but I'm also a little concerned that he's getting overly stressed with all this "work." I'm not sure what to do, or if I should try to do anything about this, I'll have to think about it more.

The best thing will probably just be to talk to him more and more, which works really well now, as he's becoming quite the communicator. Have I mentioned that he prefers to count to ten in Spanish now? Counting in English isn't as fun.

Now, what was the point? Do I have a point? Oh yeah: where is that baby!

2 Comments:

  • At 7:10 AM , Blogger objectivistDad said...

    It's such fun to be productive, but the plants are like us: they only need a certain amount. Our bellies can get full, and plants can get too much water.

    By the time he's able to use the lawn-mower, he won't want to. As they grow, they tend to help less (i.e. they require motivation or do so from habit), primarily because many of the things we want help with aren't a challenge any more.

     
  • At 3:21 PM , Blogger Amy said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home