scripsit

Elias presents ... a worm!    Thoughts on family, philosophy,
and technology

Profile

Friday, February 11, 2005

The value of college education

Amy and I were having an interesting discussion of the proposed value distinction between private and public college educations. Being down on the quality of college education in general (due to the prevalence of really bad philosophy in our culture), and having attended a state school, and having taught myself more from textbooks than I ever learned from lecturing professors and the other things unique to collegiate life, I'm very skeptical that a private college education is worth the extra expense in this era. In a better culture, the more expensive educations which tend to be the better educations, but today I wouldn't expect the Western Civ. class at Harvard to be better for one's psyche than the one at State U., since the Harvard professors are much more likely to be on the bleeding edge of subjectivism and nihilism.

I've been listening to some lectures on Ancient Greek history by a professor at U. of Pennsylvania, which last I heard is the most expensive public university in the country. The lectures are good and I thoroughly enjoy them, but he clearly doesn't think much of any supposed cultural superiority of the Greeks, i.e. his presentation is predicated on multiculturalism.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:59 AM , Blogger Pevil said...

    Being a state schooler myself, I believe it was merely a vehicle to get me to a different place in life which didn't involve dairy farming. I suppose the same could have happened while attending Yale but I'd still be paying for that degree now wouldn't I?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home