scripsit

Elias presents ... a worm!    Thoughts on family, philosophy,
and technology

Profile

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Early memories

Eli is over four weeks old now -- and one calendar month tomorrow.

I took my first bath with him last night, and we got it on film. I really wonder how different it will be for him to have all of this media showing bits and pieces of his infancy (even his birth!). There are a few Polaroids of when I was a baby, but it would be interesting to see how I acted back then, and to hear what my voice was like.

What would be even better would be to remember things from very early on. I have a hypothesis that goes something like this: the less we remember something, the more we forget it. Meaning that the more we think about some memory, the less likely it is to become irretrievable later. So my plan is to go over Eli's earliest memories with him occasionally when he gets to some suitable age (4?). That way, those neural connections will become strong and enduring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home